I’m proud of myself.
No, no modesty. I’m REALLY proud of myself.
In December of last year I set a goal to make 2012 a 90% plant-based year. Here we are one year later and I’m proud to say that we as an entire family have accomplished that goal. I also proved that it is in fact possible to have a gastric bypass and thrive without consuming ANY animal products.
So where will we go from here?
This year has taught me a lot about what feels good in my body, what fuels me and what hurts me. After much prayer, meditation, trial and error, we’ve decided to reintroduce a limited amount of organic, good quality, lean meat, wild caught fish and organic-free-range eggs into our diet. I’ve learned that grains are something that I just can’t handle much of so I will continue to limit them. They unfortunately cause me much GI upset, inflammation and bloating in my body. Dairy products will also remain out of our diet. This is due to our belief in the study done in the documentary, Forks Over Knives, that concludes any more than 5% of dairy consumption turns on cancer cell growth. As well as the fact that I’m already lactose intolerant. 😉
Why the addition of meat, poultry, eggs and fish again?
Moving to the Midwest has provided us with many benefits as far as access to good quality meat. I’m sorry if this breaks your heart but my gut tells me that the good Lord put cows, chickens and pigs etc. on this Earth for us to eat in moderation. Now before you get your feathers all ruffled, hear me out.
I believe that any and all animals deserve to be treated humanely. I am completely against the poor treatment, boarding or abuse of animals. I do feel though that if the animals were raised in good living conditions (I.e. roaming the fields that surround my house!) and were treated appropriately that there is nothing wrong with consuming them from time to time. Example: A grass-fed roast for Sunday supper, fresh fish ceviche caught out of the river on a hot summer day, free range chicken noodle soup on a cold winter’s day.
For the record, I’m pretty sure our ancestors didn’t go out and hunt a tofurkey for Thanksgiving.
Did I mention that I love living in the country?! I see these very animals every single day! Grass-fed HAPPY cows, wild turkeys, free range chickens and fresh walleye, catfish and bass swimming in the Missouri river outside my window. My yard is also filled with trees and perfectly rich soil for growing plants, fruits and vegetables.
First of all, how awesome is that???
Second of all, who wouldn’t want to live off the land??
The more research I do on how our ancestors lived, the more it makes sense to me to be a gatherer AND a hunter. A great read for those of you who find what I’m saying disturbing or my decision confusing, is It Starts With Food.
If you haven’t noticed, I’m always reading new information and research studies that are being done for the greater good of my and my family’s health. This website and book is PHENOMENAL. I absolutely loved all the information and it was very eye opening in the respect of how we’ve evolved and how going back to the basics of how our ancestors lived is the way to optimum health. A definite MUST READ.
So, my plan for us as a family as we head into 2013 is to thrive on a 75% plant based diet (including juicing!) and the remaining 25% will come from good quality, reliable sources of meat, poultry and fish as well as healthy fats. In addition to that I want us to be well-rounded. There is so much more to good health than just what we eat. My goal is for all of us to get adequate rest every night, to have quality “fun time” as a family, to practice stress relieving exercises, to move our bodies everyday and spend time reading God’s word. All things that will enrich our quality of life as a family unit. Balance is key.
Needless to say, I’m stripping myself of my “Vegan” title. I’ll just be known as “the gastric bypass omnivore” from here on out. I will still get most of my nutrients from plants but I know the Vegans as a people (LOL!) and a community hold that title to some very serious guidelines that I will no longer be abiding. And I’m ok with that.
In other news, I’m currently teaching Turbo Kick here on the Indian Reservation three nights a week! I absolutely love it! I’m also being sent to Leader training for Weight Watchers at the end of January! God is working through me in so many ways. I love that he is using me to reach and to help others get healthy.
I’m so glad that all of you are still here supporting me on this crazy journey called life! Now that the holidays are coming to a close and we are finally settled here in our new home in South Dakota I’ll be blogging much more. So stay tuned for new upcoming recipes, events and challenges that 2013 will bring. I promise to not disappoint. 🙂